Sunday, August 21, 2011

Today's Spiritual Message: The Blessings of Scripture

My family and I read a scripture in 2 Nephi, the other day, that I feel closely applies to today's message:
Their land is also full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made.  (2 Nephi 12:8.)
I am amazed and saddened with how much we, as humans, currently glory in our own intelligence and learning, often, to the point of extolling ourselves for how much more advanced we are than our lowly forebears.

Ironically,
scriptural ignorance [previously] abounded because people lacked access to the Bible, especially in a language they could understand. Today the Bible and other scripture are readily at hand, yet there is a growing scriptural illiteracy because people will not open the books. Consequently they have forgotten things their grandparents knew.
I am so grateful for William Tyndale and other scriptural martyrs, who made it possible for us to have (in English) the volumes of scripture we so often take for granted, today.  What a marvelous blessing the scriptures have been in my life.



To learn more about the scriptures and what modern prophets and apostles have said about them, I invite you to visit lds.org page where I originally found this video and click on its various, surrounding links.

No comments: