Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Holy Grail Is HERE!!!

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/call-phones-from-gmail.html

Call phones from Gmail!!!

It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Observe:

Welcome to absolute bliss

Here's the phone in action
Call here, call there, call everywhere!  (Even France.)
After SIPGate really let me down (often terrible quality and dropped calls), I am stoked, beyond belief, to have what I've been waiting for for so long:  An excuse to cut off all cell phone minutes (except for emergencies) and make legitimate phone calls online, from my computer.


May your enjoyment be every bit as sweet as mine.

UPDATE:  I just realized that by clicking the phone button for individual contacts, I can choose to call that contact on his computer or any phone number I have listed for him.  AWESOME.

Seriously.

UPDATE II:  As I was just talking to my wife about how jumbo-large (amazing) this new feature is, she told me how it's a sign of the times that we used to be a more is more kind of culture and now it's a less is more style (consolidate services into one app).  Here's the evolution:

3 comments:

Brandon Brooks said...

Google calling doesn't work for me. IT will say it is trying to call my cell phone, but my phone never rings. Also, I haven't been able to get it to call from my computer directly. I don't even have the button to make a call.

Daniel said...

Hmm. Google does often "roll out" features (in batches, or some other way so that less than everyone receives it all at once).

If you do have the call phone and are having issues, please see this help article:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=188269

Steph said...

HAHA that's great!! :) I'm glad you are so excited for it.