Sunday, March 14, 2010

Today's Spiritual Message: The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ

This post is to confirm my testimony of the Book of Mormon.

As its subtitle suggests, its purpose is to witness that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, and our only source of salvation.

Last night, my wife and I were reading in the Book of Mormon, shortly after an immense scene of destruction in the Americas, following the Savior's crucifixion in Jerusalem.

Here, there were earthquakes, fires, whirlwinds, and all kinds of destruction. (3 Nephi 8.)  This destruction, which was foreseen by the prophet Nephi and many others (1 Nephi 19) caused many kings to exclaim, "The God of nature suffers."  (1 Nephi 19: 12.)

After the chaos subsided, thick darkness covered the land for three days in which the people could have no light.  They could not light a fire, they could not do anything to produce light.

In the midst of this darkness, the voice of the Savior was heard to say, in part:
Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning. I am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name. 
I am the light and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
(3 Nephi 9: 15, 18.)

I echo the words of the Master that He is the Light and Life of the world, without His light, the world would literally and spiritually be covered in darkness.

I know that there is "no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ."  (Alma 38: 9.  See also Hel. 5: 9.)

I know that Jesus Christ literally suffered every pain, temptation, sickness, and injustice that we can or ever will face and that because He took them upon Him, He, and only He, can comfort us and remove these burdens from us or enable us to bear them with His aid.  (Alma 7: 11-12.)

I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, given to us today as another sure and powerful witness that this Carpenter from Galilee is who He said He is:  The Son of God and the Source of all that is good.  (Ether 4: 12.)

This two part video is the testimony of another's witness of the Book of Mormon, one of the Savior's special witnesses, an Apostle called and chosen by Him in our day, Elder Jeffery R. Holland.

No comments: