Saturday, May 30, 2009

Piling Insult On Top of Injury: Burying Me Deeper in Fair-Weatherdom

GUHMMMMPF!!

That's pretty much the noise I made last night when, after feeding an upset infant and having her spitup/vomit all over my shoulder and her front, I went to ESPN.com with the hopes of a Denver Nuggets game six victory . . .

TWENTY SEVEN POINTS? The best team we've had in a quarter of a century gets thumped by nearly thirty points to exit the playoffs!?

Well, this is just another convincing punch in the stomach of why I should be a fair-weather fan.

This loss is up there with the Avs' game 7 give-away-in-overtime-to-end-Roy's-career.

Seeing as I didn't watch this game or even five seconds of the whole series, I won't be going nearly as postal after I did after that gut wrencher.

For a more appreciative perspective on the biggest elimination beat-down in memory (next to my Junior year in high school football against our arch rivals . . .) see the F-Word's post on the matter: http://fletchword.blogspot.com/2009/05/yes-noooooooooooo.html

As for me, I can say I'm glad I didn't invest hours upon hours, dollars upon Benjamins, or any kind of serious emotional stock into this year's unprecedented (well, except for 24 years ago) run.

The following images and quote detail why I can never be a truly "die hard" sports fan ever again . . .



















































AND FINALLY:

In a real dark night of the soul, it is always three o'clock in the morning, day after day.
F. Scott Fitzgerald

2 comments:

Fletch said...

Your definition of fair weather fan seems be someone who follows something in the news. Most FWFs usually get on the bandwagon and watch a few games. If the badnwagon were moving at 0.5 MHP, you'd still think it was moving too fast to get on.

At least when the Avs were good I sat and watched games... like a real fair weather fan.

If they had gone to the finals would you have invested the time to watch the first game?

Daniel said...

Too true, too true.

I'd like to give myself the benefit of the doubt that I would have watched a game or two . . . probably.