Friday, July 3, 2009

Chromifox

This post is possible, mostly thanks to a buddy at work I call JSnow Ninja. Well done, Harry, well done!

How many of you love the fact that the Chrome browser skin is so clean and takes away that obnoxious gray bar from the bottom of your viewing space?

Well let's just say that since my switch-back to Firefox, I was pining for it.

Why not just go full screen?

The issue with full screen is that it can be very helpful to have a quick glimpse of what's going on in various tabs (e.g., has my wife sent me a chat in Gmail that I simply didn't hear/notice?) and the full-full screen removes this quick glance ability.

I just now (after having used FF in full screen mode for ages and not realizing this trick was possible) figured out I can have a semi-full screen (tabs and awesome-bar still visible) without the toolbar and waste-of-space bar.

You may balk, but these three subtractions on my 14.1" laptop are substantial!

See for yourself.




I would have gone with Chromifox Extreme (tabs on the top), but I found that in full-screen mode (my only mode), the navigation bar would intermix with the tabs, and this was very distracting.

Let me know what you think and what questions you have.

Cheers!

No comments: