Friday, April 22, 2011

New Google Navbar (Finally) Switching to Email Address Instead of User Names?

UPDATE:  I think I figured out what's really going on, this morning.  I believe Google uses first/last name by default, unless I open up another Google account, in which case subsequent services will show the email address, rather than the first/last name.  What's your preference?  I suppose Google wanted to shorten the ID space, since I imagine most first/last names are shorter than myname@gmail.com.  I'm now undecided.

"And Cougar Abogado came unto Google, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the navbar be my name, put it: but if my email address, then put it. And Google answered him not a word."

Peradventure Google sleepeth, and must be awaked.
I've been wondering for the past few days whether Google is (hopefully) switching its navbar name plaque from the user's chosen first/last names to the user's email address (as seen, above).  When I poked around, just now, every Google service, other than Picasa, showed my names, instead of my email address . . .

Who cares?  Well, some people have multiple user accounts and yet, here's a shocker, they still maintain the same first/last name!  Allow me to illustrate:  Let's say my first and last names are, respectively, Cougar Abogado and my email address #1 is imanawesomecooldude@gmail.com and my email address #2 is thedude@gmail.com.

If I'm using multiple profiles, I might accidentally take some action in thedude account, thinking it's the imanawesomecooldude account.  Catch my drift?

I hope this issue can be resolved soon, so we can avoid slaying anyone, down by the river.

(I wonder who actually owns those email addresses -- I assume someone, perhaps a bot, does.)

No comments: