Saturday, January 3, 2009

Yes, I'm Also Glad the Utes Won


No, seriously. You'll note that my title is the Cougar Abogado, which, if you haven't realized, is a blatant reference to my alumnus status with BYU. So why in the world would I root for the hated (okay, "hate is a powerful word," very disliked) UTES?

After grappling with this question in my own heart, I've come to a similar conclusion that the other true-blue faithful have: one of good ole, altruistic, self interest. That's right, kids. Utah's winning is actually good for BYU. Stop scratching your head and listen for a minute.

Everyone outside of Provo, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Fort Worth, and yes, Salt Lake City and all the rest, thinks that the stalwart Mountain West Conference is about as noteworthy as a kid selling lemonade in July. In other words, we're a bunch of "nobodies." Being labeled as a nobody means that our conference gets about a Las Vegas' chance of making the big time.

I will be the first to admit that I was blown away by Utah's rout (or at least impressive victory) over the impervious Tide. Maybe now the possibility of a playoff will be taken seriously (as if this were a new concept). Having the beloathed Utes fraternize with all the glory as my beloved Cougars choke in their most crucial moments throughout the regular and post season is the only bummer . . .

No comments: