Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Experience at UCUR

The Utah Conference for Undergraduate Research. I know, I'd never heard of it either, but I got an email from them back in the day last fall, inviting me to show up and make a presentation.

So I submitted the abstract to my Intel thesis and whoever the deciding body is liked it enough to give me a "spot" on the schedule to present.

To be completely candid, I really didn't give a rip about this presentation because I had a feeling (and was right) that there would be like five people in the room and only one (my wife) who wasn't either a moderator, another presenter, or a mentor.

The first kid talked about using computer science to map the human genome. Whoa. I was supposed to go next, but a girl from Dixie College got up and talked about "Digital Signage" . . . come to think of it, I still don't understand what her presentation was really about.

My presentation went pretty well as I added a dash of jokes and a pinch of impropriety. If you know me well, you know it's pretty much impossible for me to go five seconds without cracking a joke and I have no problem extending this trait to what would otherwise be a rote presentation.

After our window of presentation, it was back to Orem and then back to work. That's right, "There's no rest for the weary, commander." (STM, if you can't name the source of this quote, I will be flabbergasted.)

Yes, it was a Friday, so who wants to be at work? But hey, I've got to bring home the bacon and put some food on the table especially with another small mouth on her way.

If you have the inclination, here's the presentation (minus the ad lib jokes).


1 comment:

Fletch said...

Very much enjoyed the Intel presentation. Let's face it, their prices are declining and they keep making good products. Until consumers start to feel pinched by Intel's practices it will be business as usual. AMD will have to figure out a way to compete, which will ultimately benefit the consumer, which is the point of capitalism. GO ADAM SMITH!!