Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Rise and Fall of My Avs


To be honest, I haven't really paid too much attention to sports for quite some time. Don't get me wrong, I love my red meat and my sweaty gloves, but I just haven't made it a priority recently.

However, I do occasionally check up on my Avs. If you didn't know, they're currently dead last in the Western Conference . . . a sad day I thought would never come.

Yes, I've lived a privileged life when it comes to the Avs. They came to Colorado and won Lord Stanley's Cup in their very first year. Indeed, the Broncos took over three decades (I believe) to win the illusive Super Bowl; The Avalanche, a Quebec immigrant, wasted no time and won the silver challis in it's very first year.

Although the Avs took another five years to win their second Cup, it seemed like they always made it to at least the semi-finals and turned every series into a glorious journey or at least white-knuckle experience.

In fact, I'll never forget Patrick Roy's last year when the Avs lost in double overtime (or something like that) to the Minnesota Wild in the seventh game of the first round. I was so distraught I refused to go to school the next day.

Such was my involvement.

They've now fallen from greatness to dead last. A very sad tale, indeed.

What are your thoughts?



1 comment:

Fletch said...

I feel your pain. Although I'm not a die hard, I'm a homer and hate to see my Hockey team loose.