Sunday, February 22, 2009

This Week's Spiritual Message: Patriarchal Blessings


In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we receive inspired counsel and blessings through what are called Patriarchal Blessings. These blessings are given by men who hold the office and calling of Patriarch. Often, they are men whom we may have never met before but who are divinely inspired by God to give us guidance and direction.

In the case of my wife, the Patriarch who gave her her blessing was her grandfather. In my case, the man was a gentleman whom I had never met and whom I've never spoken to since he gave me the blessing (at least to my recollection). However, my blessing contains insights about my personality and direction about my life which have been a gentle reminder that God is my Father and that He is very near and always watching over me.

Some might scoff that such things are ludicrous and akin to soothsayers. However, there are striking difference between the former and the Patriarchs who are called of God. For instance, Patriarchs have not sought to obtain their position, they are called upon by men who hold the authority of God to act in his name. Secondly, these righteous men do not use dark and shady techniques to conjure up spirits or other questionable ideas, they simply act as a mouthpiece for the Father of us all who gives them an insight into our life, the words to say, and then closes the vision and understanding from them.

My Patriarchal Blessing has been to me as the Liahona (or divine compass) was to Lehi, Nephi, and their families: another witness that God loves me and that He will always guide me aright if I will simply seek for His guidance and follow His righeous counsel in all things.

No comments: